Saturday 24 April 2010

Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei 01 - Have I been smoking weed?

It's pretty clear which one of them are on drugs here.

Story Premise -

When a college dropout stops for a late night bite at a mysterious ramen stand, he crosses paths with a self-proclaimed deity of matrimony. This bizarre meeting sends the young man hurtling through a horrifying flashback to his not-so-glorious college days when the influence of a cruel new friend turned him from a hopeless romantic into a mischievous “black cupid.”

Thoughts -

I've got to say without a doubt this is the weirdest thing I've seen this season, and most likely the weirdest thing you'll see this season as well.

I wasn't aware of this series until I came across a topic about it on a forum I frequently browse, it sounded interesting and it's made by Mad House, good enough reason for me to watch it!

From the start you'll notice the art direction is very very different and unique from other anime series, even more different than House of Five Leave's art style. The Character designs and the backgrounds are vastly different to what we're use to, and for some it may put you off. However I usually thrive on things like this so it hardly bothered me.

However the animation did look a bit off at times, but then other times it was quite impressive, it certainly is all over the place this anime.

Couple's in Japan are frequently attacked by Fairy's.

The premise it's self is a bit weird as well, as are the two main characters. One thing I struggled with was that they were talking so damn fast that it was difficult to keep up, the dialogue and characters were good enough to interest me though so I'll let the speed rate of speech pass for now.

I'm not sure if these series is going to go down a love genre route or not, or perhaps a love comedy route. That prospect may turn you off but this series does it very differently, it's all so very weirdly wonderful that I'm surprised SHAFT aren't the people behind this series.

She's actually kind of cute, in a weird way that is.

One rare thing that I found with this series is that I like both the OP music and ED music, both just like the anime are very unique. I especially love the ED music, the visuals sort of remind me of tetris and the music is very video game retro in my view.

But in the end what's important is that did the starting episode draw me in? Did it make me want the next episode? And yes I suppose it did manage to draw me in rather well and I'm certainly looking forward to the next episode.
When I had finished watching I was left with an odd feeling which was like 'What the hell did I just watch?' It's so incredibly strange and perplexing and it feels like it'll almost become a genre of it's own.

This is probably the most unique series we've gotten from this season, and I urge anyone with a thirst for something different to check it out, it may not be up to your tastes, and it may be hard to follow, but I'm personally hoping it'll end up being something very special!

No comments:

Post a Comment